- This event has passed.
Saul Landau Film Series: Que Hacer/What Is To Be Done?
April 25, 2012 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
As a lead up to The Institute’s 50th birthday, on the 4th Wednesday of each month IPS will host a film series featuring eleven of the widely respected film productions of our colleague, Saul. After each screening participants will have the opportunity to discuss the films with distinguished guests.
Saul Landau, is an Emmy-winning, internationally-known scholar, author, commentator, and filmmaker on foreign and domestic policy issues. Landau’s most widely praised achievements are the over forty films he has produced on social, political and historical issues, and worldwide human rights, for which he won the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award, the George Polk Award for Investigative Reporting, and the First Amendment Award, as well as an Emmy for Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang.
Que Hacer is spy story-musical feature film that brilliantly weaves documentary coverage of the Allende election and turmoil afterwards, with a fast-moving story of political intrigue. A young woman Peace Corps worker becomes involved with a mysterious American ‘businessman’ and subsequently joins with Chilean revolutionaries. This Brechtian treatment of the Allende election and the imperial politics that intervenes in the Chilean affairs features the songs and acting of Country Joe McDonald as well as President Allende himself. It was filmed on location during the historic elections of 1970.
These screenings are free and open to the public but a suggested $5 donation will be appreciated. Popcorn and beverages will be provided. Please note: The location for any particular screening may vary. Please let us know you’re coming by sending an RSVP to email@example.com.
Films in the Series:
- April 25 – Que Hacer/What Is To Be Done? (1971)
- May 23 – Who Shot Alexander Hamilton (1974)
- June 27- .A Song for Dead Warriors (1974)
- July 25 – The CIA Case Officer (1975)
- August 22 – Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang (1980)
- September 26 – The Uncompromising Revolution (1988)
- October 24 –The Sixth Sun: Mayan Uprising in Chiapas (1997)
- November 28 – WE DON’T PLAY GOLF HERE and other stories of globalization (2007)
- January 23, 2013 – Will the Real Terrorist Please Stand Up (2011)