- This event has passed.
Move the War Money, Save Our Communities
March 19, 2011 @ 9:00 pm - 11:00 pm
The Washington Peace Center, Military Families Speak Out, and United for Peace and Justice are collaborating on this forum exploring the effects of our over-inflated military budget on our local communities. Hear from local DC organizers on how the economic crisis is affecting DC and how we can work together across issues to change the situation.
- John Feffer, Institute for Policy Studies’ Foreign Policy In Focus project
- Kathryn Perry, Luther Place Memorial Church and N Street Village
- Linda Leaks, Lead Housing Organizer of Empower DC
- Chantelle Batmen, Field Organizer for Iraq Veterans Against the War), and
- A Representative from Save our Safety Net
This event is endorsed by the Civilian Soldier Alliance, CodePink , Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador, DC Jobs with Justice, Dorothy Day Catholic Worker, Empower DC, Iraq Veterans Against the War, Peace Action, Luther Place Memorial Church, Save our Safety Net DC, SOAWatch, Stop These Wars, and others.
Dinner served from 5-6 pm (donation requested). Forum from 6-8 pm.
Stay after for a “Soundtrack for Refusal” CD Release Show featuring Ryan Harvey, Spoonboy, and Jubilee! 8-10 pm. This is part of a full weekend of commemorative events for the Iraq anniversary. Check the full schedule.