- This event has passed.
Marching to Freedom’s Land: Liberation from Gaza to DC
March 19, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Please join us to hear from activists from DC and Gaza, followed by dinner afterward! RSVP: bit.ly/DCtoGaza
Ahmed Abu Artema wrote a Facebook post with a striking idea that echoed through Palestinian history: What would happen if Palestinians marched nonviolently towards the boundary fence with Israel to demand respect for their rights and challenge the Israeli-imposed blockade that has created 12 years of hardship for millions of Palestinians? Less than three months later, the Great March of Return became a reality, with tens of thousands of Palestinians marching to the fence, and with that, forcing their demands for liberation and the right of return to be heard around the world.
On this rare opportunity for him to exit Gaza and meet with communities in DC, Rev. Graylan Hagler of Plymouth Congregational UCC will welcome and host Ahmed Abu Artema, who will share his experience, views, and vision on the Great March of Return and its call for the right of return and freedom for the Palestinian people. He will be joined by three Palestinian luminaries in the US as well as three longtime local DC activists:
- Jehad Abusalim, Chicago-based scholar and program associate for AFSC’s Gaza Unlocked campaign, originally from Gaza
- Noura Erakat, human rights attorney and creator of Gaza in Context pedagogical project and the Black Palestinian Solidarity video
- Laila el-Haddad, award-winning Palestinian author, social activist, policy analyst and journalist working at the intersection of food and politics
- Maurice Cook, who works for justice for DC’s youth with Organizing for Neighborhood Equity DC (ONE DC) and Serve Your City DC
- Luci Murphy, with ONE DC, who focuses on international solidarity to fight for social justice locally and globally
- Netfa Freeman, of Pan-African Community Action, the Institute for Policy Studies, and Black Alliance for Peace
Please RSVP bit.ly/DCtoGaza and looking forward to seeing you there!