This week in OtherWords, Saru Jayaraman calls on Congress to raise the “sub-minimum” wage paid to servers and other tipped workers after a 22-year freeze and Donald Kaul illustrates the irresponsibility of GOP lawmakers who would have our government stop paying its bills. Farrah Hassen shares her colorful memories of Saul Landau, an OtherWords contributor who died September 9.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please make a tax-deductible donation today to keep this valuable service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- Remembering Saul Landau, 1936-2013 / Farrah Hassen
All roads lead to Damascus and my mentor.
- Operation Secret Loopholes / Jo Comerford
Senate efforts to revamp the tax code are off to a rocky start, including a plan to keep taxpayers in the dark about their lawmakers’ actions until 2063.
- Reasons to Steer Clear from a Syrian Attack / Jim Abourezk
The American people don’t want another Middle East war.
- Raise the Sub-Minimum Wage / Saru Jayaraman
The rock-bottom pay mandated for tipped workers like servers in restaurants needs to rise from $2.13 an hour.
- A Higher Minimum Down Under / Salvatore Babones
Australian fast-food workers make at least twice the U.S. minimum wage and get many more benefits.
- The Stiffing State / Donald Kaul
You can be for a smaller government or a bigger one but you have to pay your bills.
- Going Full Circle Back to the Heyday of Inequality / Sam Pizzigati
America has returned to the same kind of deep economic divide that ushered in the 1930s Great Depression.
- Bossing the Poor Around / Jill Richardson
How about a bill banning soda sales at the House of Representatives’ cafeterias?
- Abusing Animals to Defend Tar Sands Oil / Jim Hightower
Loveable bears, deer, and such would “like to snuggle under the [Keystone XL] pipeline [for] warmth,” conservative pundit Larry Kudlow fantasized on TV.
- Higher Education Takes the Low Road / William A. Collins
Millions of smart young people are stuck in an impossible bind.
- Tax Houdini / Khalil Bendib Cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies. OtherWords.org