Retail sales are up in the top 1 percent’s plutonomy, but down in the realonomy where the other 99 percent live.Read more
Combating inequality means both lifting up and building power at the bottom, and breaking up concentration of wealth and power at the top. That’s why we work at the intersection of economic and racial justice through projects designed to build leadership and self-empowerment of black workers, immigrant workers, and low-wage workers, youth and families affected by incarceration, along with projects aiming to reverse the rules that criminalize poor people of color, and projects fighting to ensure that the wealthy and Wall Street corporations pay their fair share of taxes.
The government of Peru is getting tough on traffickers and encouraging farmers to plant alternative crops, but will it work?Read more
On December 15, 2011, a number of civil society groups came together to oppose the World Bank tribunal that is deciding the case Pacific Rim v. El Salvador, a case that may set a precedent for future tribunals and chart a devastating course for El Salvador.Read more