- This event has passed.
Transit Equity Day
February 5, 2018 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The Institute for Policy Studies joins several co-sponsors for Transit Equity Day, a collaborative effort of several organizations and unions to promote public transit as a civil right and a strategy to combat climate change.
4pm press conference in DC by Save Our System for a fair WMATA
Steps of the Wilsom Building
1350 Pennsylvanica Ave NW
A main goal of Transit Equity Day is to support the efforts of many people who are already working to support public transit in their communities. Thousands of people in the U.S. are already organizing campaigns through their unions and organizations. We would love to highlight your work and connect it to the broader network of activities on February 5, 2018. Please email us at TransitEquityDay@labor4sustainability.org or call Michael Leon Guerrero, Labor Network for Sustainability (424) 243-6543 for more information. Here are some ideas of activities you can organize on Transit Equity Day whether you are part of an existing campaign or not:
- Convene an educational event about public transit as a civil right and as a key strategy to confront climate change.
- Wear a button or sticker to your workplace showing support for public transit as a civil right.
- Get an op-ed published in your local newspaper.
- Organize a direct action to support a local campaign for quality public transit for all.
- Get your union local, organization city council, transportation board and others to pass a resolution supporting public transportation as a civil right.
- Get your union to establish a climate action committee.
Download the Organizing Toolkit for resources that will help you to organize your own activities on February 5, 2018 and ways to connect to the broader network of organizations that will be taking action.
Co-sponsors: Institute for Policy Studies, Amalgamated Transit Union, Chainbreaker Collective, Jobs With Justice, Labor Network for Sustainability, The LEAP, Labor Community Strategy Center, Partnership for Working Families, Americans for Transit, Pittsburghers for Public Transit, and OPAL.
Endorsing organizations: Greenpeace, Grassroots Global Justice, People’s Action, and 350.org.