- This event has passed.
Saul Landau Film Series: From Protest to Resistance
February 22, 2012 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Saul Landau, is an internationally-known scholar, author, commentator, and filmmaker on foreign and domestic policy issues. Landau’s most widely praised achievements are the over forty films he has produced on social, political and historical issues, and worldwide human rights, for which he won the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award, the George Polk Award for Investigative Reporting, and the First Amendment Award, as well as an Emmy for Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang.
As a lead up to The Institute’s 50th birthday, on the 4th Wednesday of each month IPS will host a film series featuring 11 of the widely respected film productions of our colleague, Saul. After each screening participants will have the opportunity to discussion the films with distinguished guests.
From Protest to Resistance, captures the rapid changes in the student movement that brought forth the pacifist antiwar movement, the free speech movement and the black power struggle. The film is full of street action, dialogues with draft dodgers in Canada, and antiwar activists in various milieus and activities. Dramatic scenes of demonstrators lined up facing counter lines of police, youths overturning police cars and police charging, clubs flailing at demonstrators’ heads. It’s still fascinating to see and hear Kwame Ture (aka Stokeley Carmichael) exciting large crowds, even after 44 years.
These screenings are free and open to the public but a suggested $5 donation will be appreciated. Popcorn and beverages will be provided. Please note: The location for any particular screening may vary.
Films in the Series:
- February 22 – From Protest to Resistance (1968)
- March 28 – Fidel (1969)
- April 25 – Que Hacer/What Is To Be Done? (1971)
- May 23 – Who Shot Alexander Hamilton (1974)
- June 27- .A Song for Dead Warriors (1974)
- July 25 – The CIA Case Officer (1975)
- August 22 – Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang (1980)
- September 26 – The Uncompromising Revolution (1988)
- October 24 –The Sixth Sun: Mayan Uprising in Chiapas (1997)
- November 28 – WE DON’T PLAY GOLF HERE and other stories of globalization (2007)
- January 23, 2013 – Will the Real Terrorist Please Stand Up (2011)