- This event has passed.
People’s Voices: Challenging the G20’s Agenda of Corporate Globalization
September 23, 2009 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
What is the G-20? How do their policies affect me? What can we do about it?
The G-20 promotes policies that put profits first through deregulation, privatization, and free trade. Their agenda has harmed working-class communities in the U.S. and around the world, causing job loss, lower wages, poverty, inequality, and environmental destruction.
As part of a five-event series scheduled around the G-20 summit in Pittsburgh, the Institute for Policy Studies, The Nation Institute, and the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE) are co-sponsoring a panel discussion, featuring Nobel laureate economist Joseph Stiglitz.
Other panelists include:
- Emira Woods, Institute for Policy Studies
- Miriam Miranda, general coordinator of the Fraternal Organization of Afro-Hondurans (OFRANEH) and representative to the Resistance Front against the coup in Honduras.
- Carl Redwood, Jr., Hill District Consensus Group
- Rev. John Welsh, president of the Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network (PIIN)
- Leo Gerard, president and international president of the United Steelworkers of America (USWA)
John Nichols, Washington correspondent for The Nation magazine
Tammy Bang Luu, Labor/Community Strategy Center and Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GCJ)
This event will be held in Pittsburgh.