- This event has passed.
Brown Bag Author Talk: “In Praise of Blood”
February 6, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Don’t miss this forum on the Great Lakes Region of Africa with Claude Gatebuke, a survivor of the Rwandan genocide and co-founder and Executive Director of the African Great Lakes Action Network (AGLAN) and Judi Rever, author of In Praise of Blood: The Crimes of the Rwandan Patriotic Front that takes an in-depth look at Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Washington’s cover for his killings in Rwanda and Congo.
The aim is to offer an alternative, more critical examination of the crisis in Africa’s Great Lakes region over the past three decades, with a particular focus on Rwandan President Paul Kagame and his army’s destructive role, often with the complicity of US officials, western media and elites. The focus will be the following:
- US foreign policy in the Great Lakes region
- The United Nations’ and Washington’s unbridled support of Kagame even as his regime has committed mass murder
- The massive loss of human life since 1994
- How mainstream media and western elites have promoted a distorted narrative that has justified, and in some cases, fueled the violence
- The role of agents and allies on the ground that have plundered resources and engaged in, or aided and abetted crimes
- Policy recommendations
There will be books on hand for purchase. Co-Sponsors: Institute for Policy Studies, Friends of the Congo, African Great Lakes Action Network (AGLAN), and Black Alliance for Peace.
Also watch this event via Facebook Live.