- This event has passed.
Briefing: World Day Against Child Labor
June 12, 2014 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Child domestic servitude is a global human rights challenge affecting millions of children – mainly girls – who are forced out of classrooms and into private households to cook and clean, and in many cases, care for other children and the elderly. Many work under hazardous conditions or become trapped in forced labor and modern slavery; many are sexually exploited. Join our panel of activists and experts, including a survivor, to learn about strategies and public policies that attempt to help some of the world’s most vulnerable children who toil in one of the most common forms of child labor.
• Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)
• Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)
• Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT),
• Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA)
MODERATOR: Tim Ryan, Regional Program Director-Asia, Solidarity Center
• Jo Becker, Advocacy Director, Children’s Rights Division, Human Rights Watch
• Evelyn Chumbow, Survivor Advocate, Break the Chain Campaign and National Survivor Network
• Tiffany Williams, National Domestic Workers Alliance, Beyond Survival Campaign Coordinator; Break the Chain Campaign, Director
• David Diggs, Executive Director, Beyond Borders (Haiti)