- This event has passed.
American Empire: From Obama to Trump
December 8, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
One year into Donald Trump’s presidency, top international activists and scholars will gather in Washington DC to discuss US foreign policy under Trump.
Building on their base of experience and their collective analysis, we will sift through the bombardment of empty threats and loaded tweets to identify the core components of Trump’s foreign policy and the most acute dangers the US now poses to the world.
Together we will look to cut through the fog of partisan war that has enveloped the Capitol, toward a clearer vision of what we as progressives can do to mitigate the damage already done, to prepare for the battles that lie ahead, and to cultivate a shared dream for a world politics based on peace, solidarity, and cooperation.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8
Location: Holeman Lounge, National Press Club
12:00pm-12:30pm: Welcome from RLS—NYC and IPS
12:30pm-2:15pm: AMERICAN EMPIRE
- Maude Barlow – Chairperson, Council of Canadians and Food & Water Watch; 2005 Right Livelihood Award recipient
- Medea Benjamin – Co-founder, CODEPINK and Global Exchange
- Sanho Tree – Fellow, Institute for Policy Studies (IPS); director, IPS Drug Policy Project
- Mark Weisbrot – Co-director, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR), Washington, D.C.
2:15pm-2:45pm: Coffee Break
2:45pm-4:30pm: A TRUMP WORLD ORDER?
- Patrick Bond – Professor, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa; former director, Centre for Civil Society
- Susan George – President, Transnational Institute (TNI), Amsterdam; fellow, Royal Society of Arts
- Christine Hong – Professor, UC-Santa Cruz; executive board member, Korea Policy Institute
- Bhaskar Sunkara – Founding Publisher and Editor, Jacobin magazine
Download the flyer for this event.