- This event has passed.
14th Anniversary of the Unjust Imprisonment of The Cuban 5
September 14, 2012 @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
September 12th marks the 14th anniversary of the imprisonment of the Cuban 5. Join IPS and the International Committee for the Freedom of the Cuban 5 for a program to reflect on the state of the movement to get freedom for The Five.
- Rafael Cancel Miranda, Puerto Rican Poet and Independentist Fighter, who spent 25 years in U.S. prisons.
- Tom Hayden, he is a writer and editor of The Nation, he organizes, travels, and speaks against the current wars as Founder and Director of the Peace and Justice Resource Center in Culver City California.
- Vicente Feliu, a leading voice of the Cuban Nueva Trova Movement, who will be offering a free concert on Wednesday September 12 at 8pm at the Embassy of Venezuela – Bolivarian Hall.
- Michelle Tingling-Clemmons, African Awareness Association and Diverse City Fund. Recently returned from Cuba and a visit with family of Ramón Labañino.
- Lawrence Wilkerson, retired U.S. Colonel and chief of staff for Colin Powell.
- Liz Derias, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement and the Praxis Project
- Jose Pertierra, immigration attorney and legal representative for Venezuela in extradiction of accused terrorist Luis Posada Carriles.
This is a free event but there is a suggested donation of $10 at the door. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Co-sponsors: International Committee for the freedom of the Cuban Five, DC Metro Coalition to Free the Cuba Five, Institute for Policy Studies, Takoma Park Free the Five Committee, and the National Network on Cuba.